Education and Training
NESTT: Neonatal Emergencies Simulation Team Training
The NESTT course is a multi-professional team training course for healthcare providers working with sick neonates.
The course focuses on gaining insight into a clinician’s own role within their usual team and uses simulation to explore human factors and the principles of CRM (Crisis Resource Management) to reduce human error and improve team performance.
Case scenarios are based on actual transfers from London NTS and the course is facilitated by experienced faculty. Participants will be able to gain insights into teamwork, human factors and CRM.
- Course Director Dr Syed Mohinuddin, Consultant Neonatologist
- Co-ordinator Sharon Lott, Senior Retrieval Sister
- Experienced multi-professional faculty
- We aim to improve participants’ confidence in dealing with neonatal emergencies working within a team. The day includes fun team building activities.
- What will I gain: insights into the impact of Human factors and CRM and their application in clinical emergencies.
- What we can offer you: an effective team learning environment to achieve course objectives.
Implications for Practice: confidence in management of neonatal emergencies, networking and sharing of good practice.
For further information please email Sharon.email@example.com.
STAN: Stabilisation and Transfer of the Acutely unwell Neonate
A new training course specially developed to teach and embed the theoretical understanding and practical skills needed for a safe and efficient neonatal transfer
Book for STAN online: https://neonatalskills.uk
STAN is the only dedicated and openly available neonatal transport course in England and has had a first year of sell-out courses and positive feedback from all involved. Following three successful courses in 2018-2019 we have updated and improved our content based on feedback from delegates and faculty ready for the new academic year.
STAN Course is suitable for:
- neonatal consultants and paediatric consultants with a neonatal interest
- ST4+ paediatric and neonatal grid training post doctors, or international equivalent
- senior nurses with strong neonatal ITU experience
- experienced paramedics, nurses and doctors working for interfacility transport teams who take part in neonatal transport
Course structure and content
The course takes a structured approach to developing or updating your neonatal transport skills. Those new to transport will find that the course follows a logical progression from theory, via practical learning, ending and consolidating with high definition simulated scenarios. Those with transport experience will benefit from reviewing their background knowledge and honing their skills as part of the simulated team.
Lectures and group discussions
- background to transfer: the role of neonatal transport teams in the UK
- physics of transfer: movement, noise, vibration and their risks to the infant
- psychology of transfer: human factors and CRM
- logistics of transfer: making it happen
- the workshops focus on the core practical skills for conducting a safe neonatal transfer, especially moving a baby from a hospital cot and incubator across to a transport incubator with ventilation and drug infusion
- high-definition clinical simulation within a real ambulance
- simulated ambulance environment with high-definition simcubator transport system
- simulated resuscitation room environment
- in-ambulance vehicle safety scenarios
- high quality debrief with experienced instructors